About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

This Year's Lent Sacrifices


After much consideration, I will be giving up: cursing, hitting the snooze button, cold sugary coffee drinks, and tres leches. Here's why:
  • I don't curse much, but any cursing is more than I want. 
  • The snooze button is important. My life doesn't have many hard deadlines; at the same time, I am most productive in the mornings and hitting snooze is counterproductive. 
  • The sugary coffee drinks are a new part of my routine. This a very bad habit for calories and sugar intake--so I need to put an end to them.
  • Tres leches is another indulgence which I must give up in order to break my sugar addiction by the end of Lent.

Masturbation was suggested for me this year, too. In past years, I have included it.
However, since I rarely masturbate these days, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice now.
For my goals, Lent sacrifices need to be challenging and provide a long-term benefit.


In addition to sacrifices, I pledge to exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes each and every day. This is more than I currently do on the average day. While I wish I could commit to more, it's not worth taking time away from school. I'm not fat so good grades trump my exercise time budget.  ;)

I will also have penalties for non-compliance. $1 per curse word, $1 per each time I hit snooze, $10 per sugary coffee, $20 for tres leches, and $5 for missing an exercise day.

Lent is technically 46 days with 6 cheat days. I do a straight 40 days because I want the long-term benefit. This year it'll be Feb 18 to April 2. For me, Lent is about change and self-improvement.



1 comment:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

I like the concept of Lent and I may do it as well. I'm to stressed out to give up my 7 times a day masturbation habit or my cursing, but I would definitely like to give up eating outside food. Renting out Property X is incredibly stressful and I'm guilty of going back to my old ways. I tried to solve this by paying Nino whatever I spend on outside food (and Brooklyn Mike for my M&M habit), in hopes that the loss of money would stop me. For example, if I bought a $10 pizza, I'd have to pay him $10. Right now I owe him $55, Brooklyn Mike $20, and this plan doesn't seem to be working (I just ate a medium pepperoni pie this afternoon).

The only way I seem to be able to change is if I want to. Punishing myself with loss of money won't help so I'll have to stop it simply because I want to stop. Maybe a few consecutive days eating home cooked food will do the trick, reminding me why I love food that I make myself. But I'm all for going a couple months without paying people, be it friends or restaurants, while still being able to get rid of this nasty habit. I guess this thing starts on Feb. 18th, so I say bring on the Lent...

Post a Comment