About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

6 years sober


 I quit drinking 6 years ago. As I've said before, I wasn't an alcoholic. I was so unhappy with my life that I used alcohol to excess as a coping mechanism. When I did this, I drank pure PatrĂ³n. I hate tequila, yet it was the quickest solution. There are times when I would like to enjoy a Sweet Water Blue, a Guinness, or even a cocktail--all of these taste yummy--but then I would lose the sobriety I have kept for so long. It's easy to give in to desires. It's harder to maintain discipline, and that is what I am doing by remaining sober.

Today also marks 1 month since I stopped eating sugar and sweets!! Breaking my sugar addiction was much harder than quitting drinking, which makes sense... Most people know that, in laboratory studies, rats will choose cocaine over food and eventually die from starvation. Less people are aware that, when rats are given the choice between cocaine and sugar water, 94% of the time the rats will choose sugar water instead of cocaine--this includes rats who were already addicted to cocaine! Sugar not only tastes good, it creates dependence within the brain. It is, quite possibly, the most addictive wide-spread and socially acceptable substance. I am so happy to finally be free of it. It has been many years since I loved myself the way I do now. I am healthy, happy, and constantly improving.  :)

1 comment:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

Great post and congrats! There really is something empowering about freedom from an addiction. While not as serious as alcohol, getting rid of my McDonald's addiction felt pretty good... especially when I pass by a restaurant and see the drive thru packed bumper to bumper. I sometines look and say, "Ugh, that used to be me!"

Getting rid of sugar is a massive accomplishment, and it should be that way from now on. I've never been a sugar fiend, but I can imagine how tough it must have been. Enjoy your sobriety from both addictions, and remember this feeling during the bad times. They're never too far behind...

Post a Comment