About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Watch where you sit

So one of the best responses to my puppy post was about the Dog Whisperer. He has a website too, which I have been reading. Most of the ideas make sense and I have been putting them in practice. However, tonight the puppy put me through a real test and I lost it. He took a crap all over the couch. When I say "all over" I mean he went a little, took a few steps, went some more, and so on to make sure he got the WHOLE COUCH!

Could I possibly be more mad? I'm not sure how but if he finds a way he may need a new home. When I brought him over to his poo, he immediately cowered. I broke down and whacked him with a rolled newspaper a few times (this is the first time I've done this). He is also locked out for the night (first time for that as well).

Under the circumstances, was there a better way for me to handle this? How do I prevent it from happening again? He knew what he was doing was wrong yet did it anyway.

2 comments:

Trixie Racer said...

My best friend said that the dog might even think he's a cat and doesn't understand why they get to sleep in my room and he doesn't. Well, there are multiple reasons. One of which is the cats are still terrified and need a place they feel safe to sleep. This is non-negotiable. No dogs in the bedroom.

If his jealousy over the cats is causing him to act out, that is likely a problem which can be fixed (how?).

My friend also guilted me into letting the puppy back in the house.

Trixie Racer said...

Well, he crapped on the couch again tonight. Grrrrr... So again I put his face right next to it, hit him with newspaper, told him he was bad, and put him outside. This is not the kind of relationship I want with my dog.

Both times I let him out to potty 20 min before he did this. If for some reason he couldn't hold it after coming back in, it would've been on the floor. He did this out of spite.

Post a Comment