About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Friday, August 5, 2016

Next week marks 7 years since I quit drinking

    It has been easy to stay quit.  I have not been attending AA. I do read self-help books. I was never an alcoholic. I decided one day to quit and I did. To give AA credit where credit is due, I did a 4-day crash course on the 12-steps. It was horribly intensive and taught me that I had a lot of deep negative emotions, that I wasn't perfect, and how to forgive. I also removed myself from the negative people and toxic situations. About 6 months after I quit, then the reality of everything I ignored when I drank was in my face. Wow. That was stressful. I realized that I did not like the person I had become. The second half of that first year I spent actively writing down goals and working on change to optimize my health and happiness.


The ACOA's Guide to Raising Healthy Children
Buy from Amazon
I have never read a self-help book for alcoholic...until now. Honestly I thought I didn't need it. However, recently I found a book that I would like to recommend for everyone who grew up in an alcoholic home. I did, and I had no idea that my childhood environment was responsible for so many of my adult problems. The book happens to be an out-of-print parenting book. Because of its parenting approach, I am able to get two perspectives out of it: myself as a child growing up in that environment and as the messed up adult. Buy it if you are ready to heal: The ACOA's Guide to Raising Healthy Children: A Parenting Handbook for the Adult Children of Alcoholics.


I know I haven't posted photos in a very long time...

So this was me back when I drank:


And this is now:





Happy birthday to all my Leo friends.

1 comment:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

Good stuff Trix, but now I'm curious...

Do you think that marking the anniversary of your sobriety makes it harder to stay sober? When I stopped eating at McDonalds three years ago, it became something I didn't even think about. There's no temptation, and I felt that marking the anniversary may put the food in my mind. So I stopped marking the anniversary and let it go. Obviously alcohol and McDonalds are two very different addictions with different consequences, so I can't really compare the two. I just wonder if marking your sobriety keeps it in your head. Either way, you're kicking ass...

Post a Comment