About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Breaking my sugar addiction

As a child, I was indoctrinated that "good girls get treats" and sugary items were a reward. Many people think of sugar as just another food without realizing what it actually does to the body. However, studies have shown that 94% of the time, rats will choose sugar water over cocaine! In case you do not understand the significance of that, rats will usually choose cocaine over food and then die of starvation. Sugar is an addictive substance!

Image found at: grandtetonchiropractic.com/clean-eating-corner/why-you-must-break-your-sugar-addiction.html

While sugary items may taste good, they wreak havoc on the body and brain. For much of my life, sugar has had control over me. I've known it, yet the momentary physical and emotional pleasure sugar provides was a powerful reinforcer for continuing. A decade ago during an illness, I was forced onto a restrictive diet which broke my addiction. Unfortunately, after I got better, I retrained my body to successfully function with sugar again (this is pathetic considering that retraining involves getting sick repeatedly from the toxicity).    :-(     For the past few years, I have wanted to quit again, yet sugar withdrawals are so uncomfortable that I wasn't willing to relive them.

On July 15th, I decided to re-break my sugar addiction; this means no candy, cakes/muffins, coffee drinks, Red Bull, added sugar, juice, or any other sweet items (including those with artificial sweeteners). The first few days were horribly intense--significantly worse than when I quit drugs and alcohol. I went through severe withdrawals: mood swings, cramping, difficulty staying awake, depression, extreme cravings, and binging (on allowed foods). While binging is not healthy, it felt like it was the lessor of two evils to help me through the withdrawal process.

Day 2 was the worst. I wouldn't say I was crying, yet tears kept coming out of my eyes. I called my best friend (he is always more rational than I) who reminded me of the reasons I needed to do this and convinced me to stick with it. I had numerous justifications for why I should quit sugar in a week or two instead of now--but he helped me keep my resolve. Taking away a "reward" that one has grown to know and love is difficult. But, in reality, sugar isn't a reward--it is a punishment.

Today is Day 8 of no sugar. Yes I still have cravings. They are manageable. My brain keeps trying to lie to me and tell me that specific foods would be okay or that I "deserve a treat." How sick is it that my treats are actually self-sabotage? Thankfully, I realize this is the addictive cycle and have not given in. My mind is getting clearer, I have lost 2 pounds this week without even trying, and I feel good. Obviously, being a true addiction, I need to continuously monitor myself to prevent slips.

2 comments:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

Great post Trix...

I've also realized how big the challenge is to re-program my brain to reverse the order of things: healthy food as a reward instead of unhealthy. Your conclusion is the best... stay vigilant and don't go crazy is you slip up here and there. Eve if you fall, get your ass back up. Decades of being told that unhealthy foods are "a part of life" won't go away without a fight.

I had those same withdrawals for soda a few years ago. I just felt like crap all the time and that I needed it to get correct. Like you, that feeling passed and I haven't had soda in years. Your addiction is probably more severe, but things should turn out about the same regardless.

Trixie Racer said...

Thank you. At first it was really tough. Now it is more like a way of life. Last week, a friend asks me to bring her that cold sugary coffee drink that I used to have such a problem with. I agreed, and it didn't cause any anxiety for me to get it for her. I was actually surprised. It only takes 3 weeks to rewire your brain. I have successfully made a change!! :)

Post a Comment