About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Bruce the Mormon

On the flight home a few nights ago, I met Bruce. He was a very polite gentleman and we started chatting right away. He asked what I did for a living and I sharply handed him my business card. This, of course, was before I learned that Bruce was a devout Mormon, an active part of his church, and happily married with 5 children. As a Sagittarius, I'm well known for putting my foot in my mouth. This is a great example!

Without knowing too much about them, I've never had a positive view on Mormons before. Bruce may have changed that. Listening to the reasoning behind what he believes and how it helps him live his life was really fascinating. His religion is not for me, but it obviously works for him...and that is all that matters!

He was very cool about my occupation and curious, to say the least. See, Bruce had never spoken to a stripper in his entire life. I told him that I would not be a good representative example. He told me that he would later bring up our chance meeting and discussions to both his wife and his congregation.

During our 3 hour flight we discussed a variety of topics. He asked the normal customer-dancer questions and I quized him on his religion. We discussed childrearing (I'm not a parent, btw) and the moral fabric of today's society. How it takes more than not being a bad person to qualify as a good person; being a good person is proactive. This was definitely an educational flight for both of us!

Everyone knows that Mormons have a lot of restrictions, but I never knew that they also have several positive "do" rules too (such as "Eat grains"). Church officials are not volunteers, instead they are members whom were asked to serve and chose to accept. They are not paid a salary and can often work 40+ hours a week within the church (not counting their normal job). Members are expected to pay 10% of their gross income to the church as tithes. This is a very sacrificing religion.

Many Mormons don't drink caffeine and I was always under the impression that was one of their rules. Bruce corrected me, "Only coffee and tea were forbidden." Really? Bruce drinks soda. Considering back when the rules were first decided soda didn't exist yet, isn't it reasonable to assume that it would have been forbiddem too?? Hehe.. "The rules aren't set in stone; only guidelines to live the best possible life." He enjoys soda as an acceptable luxury and doesn't drink the other two out of faith.

Bruce was a happy man. I find it amazing that someone can live that disciplined of a lifestyle and be happy...but, he was. Not many people have that much self-restraint. I sure don't. This was a fun plane ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment