About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Lent 2016




Lent officially started yesterday and ends on March 24. Every year with Lent I make positive changes in my life. These temporary changes are designed to be a springboard to help me long-term. While I do not expect that my my negative traits will be permanently banished, I do hope that each year will result in a cumulative improvement. 
 



This year I will stop:
  1. Cursing. This has been on my list every year for many years. I used to be someone who cursed a lot. Such words rarely come out of my mouth anymore. Now I want to stop all the mental cursing and silent whispers.
  2. Eating rice. Rice is the only item left preventing me from being Paleo. It is a staple food where I live, although I usually only eat it once per week. That now stops.
  3. Negative thinking. Whenever I catch myself thinking something negative, I will immediately do 30 seconds of exercise. This could be embarrassing if I am out, yet it is is the best way to stop this bad habit.

These positive additions are intended to become a permanent part of my daily routine with Lent creating the foundation:
  1. Non-internet reading for at least 30 minutes per day. Yes, this is books. While I read at a snail pace, I love reading. I own a massive library and have many books that I have not had time to read previously.
  2. Self-improvement study for at least 60 minutes per day. This is separate from reading books. I have many workbooks and online courses available.
  3. Recite my mantra. My mantra is supposed to be recited 108 times in a row. This is an excellent meditation practice that I have fallen out of and will now get back into.

2 comments:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

Good stuff, Trix...

Maybe you can find a good replacement for rice because I've been searching for over a year now and have found nothing. It tastes so good, and goes along with all kinds of meats. If your replacement for rice is just as tasty and easy to make, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Good luck

Trixie Racer said...

I like quinoa. But I didn't realize until after I posted this that no rice meant no sushi. Wow. That really hurt. I survived Lent without rice but I will not make this sacrifice again.

As for my reading, it is amazing what I accomplished. Maybe I will post a list at some point.

Post a Comment