About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Cracker Jacks


2005 and 2006 were very tough years for me. Among other catastrophes, a few of my loved ones died unexpectedly. While I won't ever "get over" their deaths, eventually I stopped self-medicating and learned healthy coping and acceptance.

As part of my sobriety, I receive a daily "gift" email. Here's today's:
"Each day is different and has a surprise in it, like a Cracker Jack box."
-- Alpha English

It's interesting to ponder the notion of surprise. Not every one of them is all that welcome. Hearing bad news about a friend or having a special trip we'd been counting on canceled can leave us dismayed and worried, right along with surprised. Seeking solace from others while cultivating a willingness to accept that all things happen for a reason gives us the armor we need to make the best of every situation and disappointment. It's an interesting image to think of each day as a box of Cracker Jacks. The moments of our lives have been very tasty. Some were sweet, some were a bit salty, and there were always wholly unexpected moments, the surprises that we were ready for even though we may not have imagined as much. We can look forward to the same daily agenda throughout the remaining years. Does it help to know that there is a divine plan unfolding in our lives? Many of us find comfort in that. All of us can cultivate that belief. I am ready for my surprise today! It is meant for me at this time.

Being the anniversary of my sister's death, today's message hit home. Some surprises are good, some bad, some wonderful, others horrific. Often you can't change what happened. Living a good life, being kind to people, having a quality support system, and remaining positive, are the secrets to enjoying the prize at the bottom of your Cracker Jacks box.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for that.....I needed it. My grandmother passed away early this morning. It wasn't a surprise in the literal since as she was struggling to recover from heart surgery, but the message holds true. I somewhat envy my grandmother today because she is now in the company of her daughter, my mother. Rest in peace to all those for we cherish in our hearts, until the day that we may meet again.

Unknown said...

Lovely words.....

Anonymous said...

I tried to make those years the best as possible for everyone. Every year I try to make happy, because in the end, money comes and goes, however happiness seem to last forever.

Sometime things don't work out in this life time and we just have to wait until the next one to try again. Life is learning and living the good and the bad, however it seems as if we can remember the bad but not the good, which I guess it part of the human condition. I have lost loved ones also, family members and lovers. Some have moved on, some have pasted on, however for those of us that live on, we can just remember. The pain doesn't ever really go away, we just learn to live with it somehow.

a simple poem..

The Night has a Thousand Eyes

The night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one:
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done.

-- Francis William Bourdillon

Post a Comment