About Me

My photo
When you fail to follow your dreams, you cheat yourself out of being you.
Be proud of who you are and don't back down.
Be a winner at the game of life!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The importance of a Theme Song


I have mentioned having a Theme Song, just like Ally McBeal. For those of you who have never thought about this before, it probably seems like a silly concept. It was practically ridiculed on the show. Yet, there is so much power in it.


Keane - Hopes & FearsA few months back, I put a different CD in my car (my current car only has 1 CD slot instead of 6). This means that I was no longer hearing my Theme Song every day. Instead, I was listening to Keane. Most of the songs on this particular album are sad and remind me of 2005/2006. Unpleasant memories.  While I love Keane and their music is truly beautiful, it certainly should not be considered Theme Song material. I was not intentionally replacing my Theme Song, yet I was now listening to this other CD everyday in it's place. 


Can you guess what happened? I started getting depressed. My motivation dwindled. Once I put my current theme song back on, within a day or two I was back to being my normal productive and happy self. Wow .Our music really is that powerful.


This got me to thinking... When I lived in Vegas and drank to excess, I was regularly listening to The Dresden Dolls.

The two songs, Girl Anachronism and My Alcoholic Friends, were daily aspects of my life. Every day, I listened to both of these before going to work and after returning home. For awhile, Girl Anachronism was even my ringtone! Unknowingly, I was priming myself to remain a mess.


I still like the music I used to listen to, but I rarely listen to it anymore. Living a happy life is my priority--not one filled with self-doubt, drama, and sadness. Just like we become like the 5 people we spend the most time with, music can shape our personality and mood.

If you have a daily ritual including a specific song, you already have a Theme Song. Now, think about it. What are the words? Do they align with the life you want to live and the person you want to be? What about the other music you listen to: is the general theme positive or negative? Seriously, you should analyze this.

What a Theme Song is:
  • Your personal motivational song which lifts you up and propels you toward your goals

What a Theme Song is NOT:
  • Your favorite song or any song which you like yet doesn't improve your mood AND motivate you

Choose wisely and watch your life blossom.

1 comment:

Ahkenaten Kor said...

I dunno, Trix. For me, it never worked to have a theme song. And if anything came close to one, it would never have lyrics.

The thing about a theme song is that it has to capture its subject perfectly. If the subject is me and I’m listening to a song with lyrics, there is NO way that 100% of those words will be applicable to how I’m feeling at all times. This goes back to my understanding that no two people are alike. If I didn’t write the words, then it can’t be mine. However…

Instrumentals are a fantastic idea for a personal theme song. They allow you to get that feeling of the song without using someone else’s words. You can put your own words in certain areas, change things around, make it yours. That’s mostly why I love listening to classical music. I think instrumentals are the only way to truly have a personal theme song.

I love listening to Mark Crozer and the Rels’ “Broken Out In Love”. But I can’t identify with some of the lyrics, so I usually listen to the instrumental version. No matter what I’m experiencing, the song works because the lyrics aren’t there to guide me. It’s just the theme and my thoughts. If I was ever gonna have a theme song, that would be how I’d do it. But to each their own.

Post a Comment